Substitute Teacher Opportunities
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Substitute Teacher with the School District of Manatee County!
Whether you are already a certified teacher looking for full-time employment in Manatee County, or someone who always thought you would enjoy teaching, we would love to hear from you.
Candidates wishing to become a Substitute Teacher must meet these minimum qualifications:
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age
- Provide documentation of a High School Diploma or equivalent
Substitute Teacher Salary Scale
1. Substitute Teachers MUST substitute a minimum of 10 days during each school year to remain in "Active" status. Failure to work the minimum of 10 days during a school year will result in removal from the Approved Substitute Teacher List at the end of the school year.
2. Every five (5) years, the Substitute Teacher must submit to a background check in order to continue as an "Active" substitute teacher.
3. It is the Substitute Teacher’s responsibility to notify the HR department in writing if they are no longer interested in substitute teaching. If a Substitute Teacher terminates their "Active" status with the School Board of Manatee County, and later wants to return, they will be required to re-apply and complete the full application process including security clearance (fingerprint and drug screen), training and any additional requirements that may be in place pursuant to School Board policy or procedures.
4. Substitute Teachers must comply with the employment and performance expectations and requirements as set forth in School Board Policy 3120.04. Negative performance reports related to the conduct and/or the performance of a Substitute Teacher may result in removal from service at a school and/or removal from the Approved Substitute Teacher List. Additionally, the District may remove a Substitute Teacher from its Approved Substitute Teacher List with or without cause.
5. Substitute Teachers are not guaranteed employment on a daily basis, nor during the summer months or scheduled breaks.
How do I apply for a Substitute Teacher position?
Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications may apply by clicking here to complete the online application and then following the steps below.
1) Enter the keywords "Substitute Teacher Basic Program" in the "Search Jobs" field, and click the arrow to the right.
2) Select "Substitute Teacher Basic Program" from the list, and click the arrow to the right.
3) After the job description opens, click the green "Apply for Job" button.
4) Log in. If you are a new user (not registered with the system), you will be prompted to register by clicking "Register Now".
5) During the online application, you will need to upload the following documents:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Official copy of college transcripts for any college coursework completed
- A current resume
- Three (3) letters of professional reference
6) After you complete the online application with all required documents uploaded, and we complete a successful Employment History check, you will be sent an electronic offer to become a Substitute Teacher. This offer will detail the non-refundable fees for pre-employment fingerprinting and drug testing, along with instructions on how to complete the next steps:
- Accept the offer
- Drug Testing
- Child Abuse Online Training
- Substitute Online Training
7) Once you accept the offer and we have received your pre-employment fingerprinting, drug testing and background screening results, your results will be evaluated per established policy to determine eligibility for employment. If you are eligible and approved, you will be sent final employment tasks and information to start working as a Substitute Teacher in the District.
If you have questions or need assistance, please call 941-708-8770, ext. 41185 or ext. 41060.