Activities That Count
The following activities count toward community service. This list is a starting point when planning your service, but it's not everything that's possible. There are thousands of ways to make an impact on our community. If you're not sure whether your activity counts, see Mrs. Hedgepeth during lunch in the cafeteria or in student services before or after school.
Remember, if you want it to count toward the Bright Futures scholarship, you have to fill out a pre-approval form before providing the service.
Service for non-profit agencies:
- Red Cross
- Salvation Army
Service work with churches:
- Mission trips
- VBS (logistics, not teaching)
- Church sponsored projects that directly address a community need or social issue.
High school service club projects
- Organization of events that directly address a community need or social issue.
Volunteer service for charitable fundraising events:
- Race for the Cures
- Relay for Life
- A business or governmental internship
- Activities on behalf of a candidate for public office
- Animal shelters
- Nursing homes / hospitals
- Participation in events that benefit members of the community